Saturday, March 5, 2016

Shelf Candy Saturday No. 172: Fathom, by Ashley L. Knight



Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!


This is my weekly feature
showcasing beautiful covers!
It also provides information, 
if available, on their 
very talented creators!


Here's my choice for this week!



Fathom
(Fins Trilogy, Book 2)
 Ashley L. Knight
Trade Paperback, 184 pages
Chalet Publishers, LLC
May 1, 2011
Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, 
Urban Fantasy, Young Adult Fiction


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11490707-fathom




My Thoughts About This Cover

It might seem a bit strange that I would pick a cover like this one, if you're a regular reader of this weekly feature. (I must apologize for not posting it last week; I just didn't have the time.) I tend to favor very ornamental covers, frequently with complex, detailed designs. This cover, in contrast, could pass for a Minimalist painting. Indeed, I think it would look great in a Modern Art exhibition.

This cover really does have some complexity, the longer you look at it. The beautiful aqua color is dark in some places, and lighter in others. It evokes the play of light on water, as well as ocean depths. It also gives a feeling of eeriness to the cover, as the viewer also feels the depths of the ocean. 

That metallic-looking bar in the lower half of the image looks like it might be part of a sunken ship. It's echoed by a bar of light higher up in the image. 

The font used for the title is very effective; it contributes to the overall eery atmosphere. It's a custom-designed font, and its placement right smack in the middle of the image is just perfect. It's been placed on a bar of light. This bar, along with the upper one, and the metal bar below, divides the cover into three sections.  I'm not sure if this has any meaning, but, in terms of composition, I find it very striking!

The brilliant cover artist is Ken Koeberlein, of Koeber Designs. He's a graphic designer based in Boise, Idaho, and owns his own company. He studied at the Art Institute of Seattle, and was nominated as one of the best 3 graphic designers in Boise by Fusion Magazine, in 2013.    






Online Links
LinkedIn Profile
zoominfo




What do you think of this 
week's cover?
Please leave a comment
and let me know!










2 comments:

  1. There is something to be said for such minimalism. Plus. as you mention, there is really a lot of complexity here.

    I really do like that font. I would like see the entire alphabet of it. Fonts and their design can be an interesting topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      Oh, absolutely! And there definitely is some complexity here, lurking just beneath the surface. (The pun fits very well here, lol.)

      I love this font, too! And I would indeed like to see the entire alphabet of it myself. I agree that fonts are an interesting topic. In fact, I think that much of a cover's impact has to do with the font used for the book's title. The wrong font design can actually ruin a cover, IMHO.

      Thanks for the perceptive comment!! :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)