Saturday, November 9, 2013

Shelf Candy Saturday #92: The Habitation of the Blessed, by Catherynne M. Valente




Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!!



This weekly feature
showcases beautiful book covers,
and provides information,
if available, on their very talented creators!

For more information
about Shelf Candy Saturday,
just click HERE.



Here's my choice for this week!



The Habitation of the Blessed
(A Dirge for Prester John #1)
Trade Paperback, 352 pages
Night Shade Books
November 1, 2010
Adventure, Fantasy, Historical Fiction,
Mythology


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7904453-the-broken-kingdoms





Why do I love this cover?


I adore covers that are exquisitely detailed, and this one certainly is!  It's also filled with a luminescence that gives it a very magical quality, reminding me of stained-glass windows.

I'm not sure if the woman is an angel, but those fluttering white things on her back look like feathers.  They mirror the fluttering movement of the pages of the book the man is holding.

I love the very realistic details of the two figures -- the woman's hair ornament and facial features, the man's ornate robe.  Their facial expressions are interesting; the man's steady stare at the viewer is defiant, challenging.  The woman, too, stares at the viewer, but in her eyes I see an invitation to enter the story.

It's great that the title and author's name are placed outside of the image area.  In my opinion, too many gorgeous covers are ruined because these two things are superimposed over the cover image.  The font used here is very stark, very classical, which is nice, since it doesn't distract from the impact of the image.

Rebecca Guay, the creator of this striking cover, is a marvelously talented artist!  Her illustrations are timeless and incredibly beautiful, with an other-worldly quality that is just perfect for fantasy art.  A freelance artist, she is best known for her work commissioned by Magic: the Gathering, White Wolf Publishing, Vertigo, and World of Warcraft, among others.







Rebecca Guay


Online Links






What do you think of my choice?
Leave me a comment
and let me know!








2 comments:

  1. That cover isn't something I'm really drawn to but it definitely has some unique qualities.

    http://lratrandom.blogspot.com/2013/11/shelf-candy-saturday-51-lost-found-by.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, there!

      Have you seen the other samples of this artist's work at the links I included in the post? You might not like this particular one, but there are others I'm sure you will definitely love! Guay has a very detailed, glowing style that I am absolutely captivated by!

      I'll come over and take a look at your choice! Thanks for participating!! : )

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)