Saturday, July 16, 2011

On My Wishlist #7



This is a fun weekly event hosted by
Carolyn at  Book Chick City,
 and runs every Saturday.
Each participating blogger features books 
s/he hasn't actually bought yet,
but desperately wants to read,
because the plots sound so very fascinating!


These books can be either newly-published,
to be released in the near future,
or they might have been in print for several years.

In my particular case, any books I place
on my wish list are strictly the print versions,
since I do not read ebooks. 


Here are my choices for this week!






Trade Paperback, 288 pages
Published by Walker Books, Ltd.
March 5, 2007
Genre: YA Fantasy


From the Goodreads Synopsis


When Alexandra’s mother is slain by an unnatural beast, shadows fall on the once-lush kingdom. Too soon the widowed king is entranced by a cunning stranger — and in one chilling moment Alexandra’s beloved brothers disappear, and she is banished to a barren land. Rich in visual detail, sparked by a formidable evil, and sweetened with familial and romantic love, here is the tale of a girl who discovers powerful healing gifts — and the courage to use them to save her ailing kingdom.


When I first saw this book,
I fell in love with the gorgeous cover!
So I know I will try to buy itas soon as I possibly can!!
This is the UK cover, by the way.

The story promises to be just as enchanting as the cover,
too, since it's a classic 'hero's quest' tale,
only, in this case, the 'hero' is a heroine.
Just my cup of tea!






Trade Paperback, 384 pages
Published by Thomas Nelson
April 12, 2011
Genre: Science Fiction, Christian Fiction,
Religious Thriller

From the Goodreads Synopsis


Using the four horsemen of the Apocalypse to symbolize the four Gospels, four transcendentals, and four forces of the universe (air, water, earth, and fire), Sweet and Wagner weave a fast-paced, end-times tale of good vs. evil and the promise of a new dawn for humanity.

Set in 2048, when planet Earth is suffering from the damaging effects of years of misuse and abuse, cultural history professor Paul Binder receives a mysterious letter that leads him to examine a lost 2nd-century Diatessaron manuscript. Ancient prophecies, cryptic letters, and strange events set him on a course to uncover the missing clues that could lead humanity into a new age. Each character embodies elements of the four horsemen in a race to save the world from total destruction. Layered with forgotten symbolism from the ancient, Jewish, and Christian traditions, the novel is a type of engaged fiction in which the main character's lost journal serves as a guide to the reader in interpreting clues and understanding the novel's conclusion.


This one sounds so very fascinating!
I love the subject matter,
since I've long been interested in
the spiritual riddles of the universe.
This novel also contains a lot of action,
and speculation regarding mysterious manuscripts
and end-of-times angst.
Just the thing for me to get lost in!!

And I have to say that this cover is very striking!






Kerstin Gier (Author)
Anthea Bell (Translator)
Hardcover, 324 pages
Published by Henry Holt & Co.
May 10, 2011
(first published January, 2009)
Genre: YA Science Fantasy


From the Goodreads Synopsis


Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era! Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon, the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.


I've had my eye on this one for a couple of weeks now.
The cover is absolutely luscious!
I love it even though red is not usually a color
I'm attracted to (except at Christmastime).
It's really all that elegant,
Art Nouveau scrollwork that I find so
aesthetically pleasing!

The plot sounds so very exciting!
I adore the combination of romance and time travel!
I like the new twist given to the theme
by Gier, too -- the idea of "a time travel gene"
is quite interesting.




So, what wonderful books are you all
wishing for this week?






5 comments:

  1. I've had my eye on Ruby Red as well... it looks really good. Being the historical fiction junkie that I am! xD I would buy The Swan Kingdom for its cover alone, it's absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing. And thanks so much for putting my button on your blog! I appreciate it. :)

    --Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the sound of The Swan Kingdom and the cover for it is so beautiful! Also Ruby Red looks good, I keep seeing it around, another 2 to add to my wishlist!

    My Mailbox

    Suzanne@Under the Covers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Rachel!

    When I first came across this cover, I couldn't believe how BEAUTIFUL it was! Especially with all that blue, too, which, as you can tell from my blog design, is my favorite color! There are several covers for this book, and this one is absolutely the most gorgeous one.

    As for the button -- you're very welcome! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Suzanne!

    Yes, both of these books look like fascinating reads. And both with such exquisite covers, too!!

    Glad to have contributed to your wish list! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel & Suzanne:

    Oops! I almost forgot...Thanks to you both for commenting!! : )

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)